Saturday, January 12, 2008

Lifetime movies! Can Harlequin romances be far behind??

I'm in a quandary. For the first time in my life, I'm considering watching . . . I can barely bring myself to type it . . . a Lifetime movie tonight. Before you gasp in horror, I am not becoming my mother (yet). The only reason I'm considering it is because that adorable Nikki Blonsky from Hairspray is starring in the movie. I don't think she sings in it, however, so I probably won't watch it. Also, I'm worried she's going to get stuck in roles about chubby girls who heroically manage to overcome fat prejudice and triumph in the end, you know? Still, she's awfully cute, and seeing her makes me smile.
##########

Miz S, I hope you didn't get the wrong impression about my attitude or anyone else's attitude toward the younger generation. I was irritated beyond belief at Daniel's irresponsibility, but in general, I consider myself lucky to have him for a son. Except for losing any object not attached to him with a cord and occasional bouts of moodiness, he's a great kid who's never given me a minute's worry about the drinking or the drugs or the inappropriate friends or anything. (I do enough drinking and carousing with inappropriate friends for both of us! Well, in my younger days, anyway.) I'm sure lrw7 didn't mean Daniel when she mentioned entitled, overprotected kids, either; she's actually met him and knows he's a good boy . . . er, young man. After hearing some stories about the people she deals with every day at the college's financial aid office, I can understand where she's coming from, though.
Since I wrote that entry yesterday, I've been thinking, and it's probably true that Daniel's been overprotected somewhat. He's an only child, and it was just the two of us for several years, and I'm sure I made some mistakes in not letting him handle his own problems enough. To be honest, sometimes I'm amazed he turned out as well as he did. It was so hard for me to suppress my urge to do things for him instead of letting him do it himself and learn from his own mistakes occasionally. Even now, when he's out of my maternal grasp about 90% of the time, I have to bite my tongue to keep myself from exclaiming "I can do that for you!" Good thing he had a healthy independent streak--I think it prevented him from turning out completely helpless.
Eh, maybe I'm being too hard on myself. He'll probably always be a little absent-minded and forgetful, and that's not necessarily my fault, right? Some people just are that way. As a matter of fact, there's a chance he inherited that tendency (cough). I know plenty of mature adults who lose their phones and debit cards, and they manage to survive. As Rizzo said in Grease, "There are worse things I could do."
Why, yes, I can sum up everything in life with a song from a musical! Heh.

Edited to add: Guess who called me earlier this evening? My mom, to tell me Nikki Blonsky's in a Lifetime movie tonight. Ha!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Daniel probably has been a bit sheltered but so what? He hasn't exactly been under glass all this time and he will learn. If I didn't think he'd learn, I would not have the urge to give him an auntie ho strangling. Yes, he will misplace and lose things again someday but when that "someday" comes, he'll learn to take care of it right away --all on his own! That's the only difference between now and then and I have faith it'll happen.

Miz S said...

Oh hell no, I wasn't talking about you. You're the mom. You are entitled to bitch about your kid.

I just thought that lrw7 painted the younger generation with ridiculously broad brush strokes. Surely not EVERY college kid is that bad. Probably not even most of them. I'm rather fond of dozens of late teens/early 20's.

But anyway, sorry for leaving a cranky-ish comment.

Anonymous said...

My son is 19. We play the "MA, I can't find my wallet; MA, where's my car keys; MA, have you seen my cell phone" on almost a daily basis. It's a good thing his balls are attached.

Anonymous said...

Tyler is always losing things, but remarkably is able to find things for me, that I've lost. Odd.

That song by Rizzo is my favorite on that soundtrack, ho.

Lisa said...

Sasha, the "auntie ho strangling" is cracking me up.
Miz S, you weren't cranky! No harm in expressing your opinion. I'm rather fond of several "young people" myself (that expression makes me sound ancient, no?), but then, I don't have to deal with them as consumers of services. Who knows how I'd feel then?

Anonymous said...

"auntie ho strangling" ha! good name for a rock band.

oops, sorry if i was a little too snarky about the whole millennial thing... i'm obnoxious, just ask lisa! :) i would wreak havoc on our little chat rooms back in the day! (fuck YOU, lrw7!)

actually, miz s, you are absolutely right. most of the late teens/early twenty year olds are great. they have a wicked sense of humor and i LOVE that they embrace differences. i just don't get to see those students often.

i'm just frustrated because i work in financial aid and deal with some really bad cases (bad cases=twits)

my last one was a gal who receives full pell grant, state need, etc., but can't seem to come to cashiering to pick up her financial aid checks. of course she needs the checks to pay for the 145.00 in PARKING TICKETS that she's managed to tally up since she can't be bothered to park in the FREE STUDENT PARKING LOT. great use of tax-payer money, huh? i often ask these students if they really need the grants since they are so unwilling to pick up gift aid because there are so many other students who do.

oh, and i LOVE my job (i really do) HAA!!

and as for daniel? that kid has been making me laugh really hard since he was a wee boy...i love him.

oh, and i don't usually use caps and have horrid punctuation... i love to drive lisa mental... mwah ha ha

stephanieee said...

Your addendum cracks me up.

Miz S said...

lrw7 - I can see how your perspective might get skewed if you had to deal with stuff like that all the time.

So now we're all friends, right? Yay! I hate conflict!

Unless you are mean to animals in which case I will be happy to engage in an all-out war.

Anonymous said...

oh, of course we're friends! ::::mwah mwah::: <-- air kiss. you're responding to a blog from lisa l, i know her kind of people! :)

and i love animals. we don't have kids, so our dog woody is our baby.
he's even political. check out his protest of mitt romney at http://www.flickr.com/photos/bijoudesigncom/730100113/


and lisa, fer chrissakes, quit second guessing yourself about how you raised your kid. any kid that would make a snowman holding a sign saying, "the end is nigh" is going to be juuuust fine.

Anonymous said...

Lisa, m'dear, you could do far worse than to watch a Lifetime movie. Look at the other $hi7 that masquerades as Saturday night television. And my cable company dropped BBC America! Rotten bastards... Ah, for the days of "Saturday Night at the Movies." And to anyone who remembers those days: I know how old you are!

Anonymous said...

hey greg!

thanks for the beautiful christmas card. :)

that SUCKS about BBC america. i can't live without "how clean is your house", graham norton and gordon ramsay...

gotta go! be good!