Monday, April 14, 2008

Every picture tells a story

Celeste sent me a link to an article in the New York Times about eVites. Ha! I'm delighted to see my distaste for e-vitations confirmed. See? I'm not just a cranky curmudgeon. And now I promise to drop this topic. Really.
******

I got a lot of unpacking-and-setting-up work done on my office this weekend. I've neglected my office a little because I've been working so much on the rest of the house. I did get my desk and computer set up right after we moved in, and really, those two things are all I need to work. I'm a happier worker when I have my things surrounding me, however. I unpacked and shelved books (thank God for all the built-in shelves in this room), hung pictures, and arranged tchotchkes, and I'm pleased with my progress. I still have a few boxes to unpack, but the room looks much less like a warehouse.
Here's an example of a must-have in my office (with apologies for the glare):



This picture came from a book of postcards based on illustrations from pulp novel covers, and it always makes me laugh. A little macabre, but it helps that the editor in this illustration isn't a woman! Such a melodramatic book title, isn't it? The old photographs to the upper left of that postcard were a present from Kevin. I should take a more close-up picture or perhaps scan it, but you might be able to tell that they're old photos of prim-looking Victorian women wearing a series of funny hats. I get a kick out of imagining what was going on when the photos were taken and what the women were thinking.
******

I understand some people have bright dogs who can actually learn tricks and obey commands and all that? Not my dogs. I always knew they weren't the brightest canines, but recently they confirmed that any attempt at training them would be an utter waste of time. A sliding glass door leads out to the patio and back yard, and shortly after I moved in, the screen part of the door came off the track. At the time, there was still snow on the ground, and it was too cold to use the screen door anyway, so I left it. A few weeks later, Kevin cleaned out the track and put the screen door back up. The first time I took the dogs outside after the screen was up, guess what they did? They waited for me to open the glass door, and then promptly galloped smack into the screen door. What's worse is that Charlie saw Holly hit the screen door first and still rushed headlong into the screen. Not even the Dog Whisperer could do anything with dogs that dumb!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I need to see that picture of women in silly hats close up. I know I'd love it. We need to get together soon. Travis's event ended up getting canceled yesterday because the sponsors pulled out so I think he'll be leaving soon for work. At least I haven't distracted you from getting your unpacking taken care of. I'll see you soon. xoxo

Greg said...

"I'm a happier worker when I have my things surrounding me, however."

I'm sorry, but I just flashed on Mary Kate Danaher, wanting her spinet and pewter and all her things about her. And until she had her things, her fortune, she was no married woman!

Hey, you know I've a weakness for redheads.

Anonymous said...

At least your dogs are smart enough to know they have to do their business outside. I wish I could say the same for my dumb dachshund.

Anonymous said...

I like the pottery and the poster. I'm so jealous that everything is all fresh and new. I'm haunted by how much dust is waiting for me to move the furniture even one little bit.

I either need a housekeeper or some head-meds.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed that evite article. I hate that shit too. I respond to those only rarely, but maybe I never will again.

Anonymous said...

And oh yeah, welcome back to blogging.